February 16, 2011

Dukkah...an Egyptian Spice Blend



The first time I made this blend was for a party I threw during the 2008 Olympic games. My husband had invited our neighbors to join us and taste "Foods from around the world". This of course had not been cleared with the chef (me) first. So I felt compelled to deliver what was promised. I went on the internet and started to do searches on different ethnic foods and I came across this one. Dukkah is a blend of nuts, seeds and spices, and with its unique flavor it is totally addicting. Typically I serve it with olive oil and a bread. I dip the bread in the oil and then pick up some of the spice blend. The flavor is nothing like I had ever tasted before and once I started eating it I just didn't want to stop. You will notice that the ingredients, as we know now, are very healthy for our bodies. Sprinkle a little on your salad for an exciting new twist!



Ingredients:

2/3 cup hazelnuts
1/2 cup sesame seeds
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon flaked sea salt



Method:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place the hazelnuts on a baking sheet, and bake for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant. While the nuts are still hot, pour them onto a tea towel. Fold the towel over them to cover, and rub vigorously to remove the skins. Set aside to cool.


In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds until light golden brown. Pour into a medium bowl as soon as they are done so they will not continue toasting. In the same skillet, toast the coriander and cumin seeds while shaking the pan or stirring occasionally until they begin to pop.


Transfer to a food processor or blender. Process until finely ground, then pour into the bowl with the sesame seeds. Place the cooled hazelnuts into the food processor, and process until finely ground. Stir into the bowl with the spices. Season with salt and pepper, and mix well.              

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip Advisor