June 2, 2013

Edamame Crostinis with a Smokey Shrimp Topping


Let me start by saying...I LOVE EDAMAMES!
(I also like saying the word EDAMAMES too!)

Whew now that I got that out my system I can go on. Anyhow this recipe was originally done with fava beans still in their pods and the process was to grill the pods and then remove the beans. While I am sure the beans were as yummy as can be, I decided to go with edamames or soy beans, already shelled and found in my grocer's freezer section. I also made a few other changes to the original recipe due to my own personal taste and availability of ingredients.

The original recipe is over at one of my favorite food blogs Spoon Fork Bacon.






To make the smokey shrimp:

About 1/2 lb of raw shrimp, cleaned and shelled with tails still intact
2 T. liquid smoke (you can find this in the BBQ sauce section of your local grocer.)
1 T ground cumin
1 Tsp. Hungarian Paprika
juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 cloves of crushed garlic
2 T extra virgin olive oil or EVOO
salt and pepper to taste


The Edamame Mixture:

12 oz. frozen shelled edamame beans, prepared according to package directions
5-7 cloves of garlic, roasted 
3 T. of toasted sliced almonds
1/3 cup of EVOO
juice of one lemon or 1/4 cup lemon juice from bottle
1/4 cup pf shredded Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

And one large baguette, sliced thin and toasted either on the grill or in a hot oven. 

Start by adding all of the shrimp ingredients to a bowl and let marinate in the frig for at least 1/2 hour.

In the meantime add the edamame ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend. The consistency will depend on your preference. I personally like it a bit more on the creamy side so I adjust the recipe by adding a little more of the liquid ingredients. 

After shrimp is done marinating saute it a pan sprayed with cooking spray until they just turn pink. Don't overcook or your shrimp will be rubbery. Spread the edamame mixture onto toasted bread and top with the smokey shrimp.

I hope you enjoy them!!!

XO
Sharing this post at these wonderful Blog linky parties...

2 comments:

  1. These look absolutely delicious. An elegant entree or party food to serve in my new kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good. Thanks for sharing at Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Trip Advisor