May 26, 2013

Fresh Blueberry and Sweet Basil Salad Dressing


This is one of my favorite summertime dressings to make. You really do not need much more than some greens, toasted sliced almonds and a little blue cheese or Gorgonzola...toss and you have this fabulous healthy salad with such a unique and delicious flavor.

The dressing includes...

1/2 cup fresh blueberries 
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar 
2 tablespoons water
half a medium shallot chopped
one tablespoon basil chopped
 1/4 cup of olive oil 
and a pinch of Kosher salt.

Blend all the dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender.


 Blueberries are loaded with the antioxidant polyphenol that neutralizes free radicals in the body which can cause cancer, heart disease and Alzheimer's Disease. Blueberries are rich in vitamin C too. Olive oil in the dressing along with the almonds in the salad are also heart healthy foods. Almonds are rich in vitamin E and a good source of high quality protein. Almonds can help lower LDL and lipids (fat). Olive oil can help reduce cholesterol as well as the risk of certain cancers like breast, prostate, endometrial and cancers of the digestive track.

So eat up those brightly colored foods mother nature has generously provided for us, they are packed with nutrients which can ward of diseases and help keep our immunity in tack.

Enjoy!!!

XO
Linking this post to the following blog parties...

9 comments:

  1. Lovely!! Making this soon. Love your presentation, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good! I will definitely try this soon, one of our standby dressings is "Cindy's Blueberry Dressing" but it's pricey and I can't always find it. Yours sounds much better to me with shallot and basil to offset the sweetness of the berries. Thank you!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful! Can't wait to try this! Featuring tonight on my FB page. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Whole Lifestyle Nutrition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going on my have to try list. I've not heard of this combination before and it sounds just delightful! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend. Best wishes for tasty dishes this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely adore basil! And with fruit too! YUM. Thank you for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday! Zannie @ mymixingspoon

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was delicious, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was delicious, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG this dressing is soooo delish. I used raspberry balsamic vinega because I was out of red wine vinegar and it is yummy! This is going to be my favorite dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds delicious- I adore basil and berries! I even have fresh blueberries. However, vinegar makes me cough, sneeze, choke etc so I must be allergic to it. I'm wondering if you have any suggestions on what I might substitute for the red wine vinegar? Also, how long does it keep (in fridge)? Thank you. ~Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Trip Advisor